Tribal Epidemiology Centers produce health reports that provide statewide and regional level data to tribal health organizations and other entities working to improve the health of AI/AN people.
Additionally, TEC staff author manuscipts on public health topics which are published in peer-reviewed journals to inform others interested in improving AI/AN health.
American Indian and Alaska Native people continue to be disproportionately impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. And with the emergence of several COVID-19 vaccines, there has been an urgent need for information on the knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs among American Indians and Alaska Natives regarding the vaccines.
Urban Indian Health Institute (UIHI) conducted a survey with 1,435 American Indians and Alaska Natives across the United States, with participants representing 318 different tribes across 46 states. The survey asked 49 questions ranging from an individual’s willingness to receive a COVID-19 vaccine to the people they trusted most when making informed decisions.
Published January 28, 2021
- Diana Redwood, PhD; Kristen Mitchell-Box, DrPH; Erin Peterson, MPH; Ellen Provost, DO. Improving the Health of Alaska Native People Through Use of a Policy Change Model and Capacity Building.
- Dehghani K, Lan Z, Li P, Michelsen SW, Waites S, Benedetti A, Lejeune P, Torrie J, Robinson E, Vejvoda B, Mullah M, Redwood D, Cooper M, Fanning A, Yacoub W, Alvarez GG, Søborg B, Long R, Menzies D. Determinants of tuberculosis trends in six Indigenous populations of the USA, Canada, and Greenland from 1960 to 2014: a population-based study. Lancet Public Health. 2018 Mar;3(3):e133-e142.
- Nash SH, Lanier AP, Southworth MB. Occurrence of Endocrine and Thyroid Cancers Among Alaska Native People, 1969-2013. Thyroid 2018 Apr;28(4):481-487.
- Nash SH, Meisner ALW, Zimpelman GL, Barry M, Wiggins CL. Cancer survival among Alaska Native people. Cancer. 2018 Jun 15;124(12):2570-2577.
- Nash SH, Redwood DG. Potentially preventable cancers among Alaska Native people. Cancer Health Disparities 2018;2:e1-e15.
- Kelley SF, Day, GM, DeCourtney, C, Nash, SH. Timeliness of Breast Cancer Treatment Within The Alaska Tribal Health System. Journal of Rural Health 2017 Oct; doi.org/10.1111/jrh.12280.
- Warren-Mears V, Ritchey J, Larson B, English K, Provost E, Hill K, Wimsatt M, Grismala K, Andreini M, Yazzie D, Beaudry PJ. Tribal Epidemiology Centers and Native American Health. J Acad Nutr Diet 2016;116(5):769-70.
- Joseph D, Redwood D, DeGroff A, Butler E. Use of evidence-based interventions to address disparities in colorectal cancer screening. MMWR Supplements 2016; 65(01):21–28.
- Redwood D, Asay ED, Blake ID, Sacco PE, Christensen CM, Sacco FD, Tiesinga JJ, Devens ME, Alberts SR, Mahoney DW, Yab TC, Foote PH, Smyrk TC, Provost EM, Ahlquist DA. Stool DNA testing for screening detection of colorectal neoplasia in Alaska Native people. Mayo Clin Proc 2016;91(1):61-70.
- Redwood D, Provost E, Lopez E, Skewes M, Johnson R, Christensen C, Sacco F, Haverkamp D. A Process Evaluation of the Alaska Native Colorectal Cancer Family Outreach Program. Health Educ Behav 2016;43(1):35-42.
- Redwood D, Provost E, Lopez ED, Skewes M, Johnson R, Christensen C, Sacco F, Haverkamp D. A Process Evaluation of the Alaska Native Colorectal Cancer Family Outreach Program. Health Educ Behav 2015;43(1):35-42.
- Craig JA, Redwood DG, Provost EM, Haverkamp DS, & Espey DK. Use of tracking and reminder systems for colorectal cancer screening in Indian Health Service and tribal facilities. IHS Prim Care Provid 2015;40(2), 10-17.
- Howard BV, Metzger JS, Koller KR, Jolly SE, Asay ED, Wang H, Wolfe AW, Hopkins SE, Kaufmann C, Raymer TW, Trimble B, Provost EM, Ebbesson SO, Austin MA, Howard WJ, Umans JG, Boyer BB. All-cause, cardiovascular, and cancer mortality in western Alaska Native people: western Alaska Tribal Collaborative for Health (WATCH). Am J Public Health 2014;104(7):1334-40.
- Redwood D, Suryaprasad A, Haverkamp D, Wong C, Provost E, Espey D. Evaluating an Electronic Measure of Colorectal Cancer Screening at Indian Health Service Facilities, 2008-2010. IHS Prim Care Provid 2014;39(6):86-93.
- Redwood D, Provost E, Asay E, Roberts D, Haverkamp D, Perdue D, Bruce MG, Sacco F, Espey D. Comparison of guaiac-based and immunochemical fecal occult blood tests for colorectal cancer screening in an Alaska Native population with high prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection. Prev Chronic Disease 2014;11:E56.
- Perdue DG, Haverkamp D, Perkins C, Daley CM, Provost E. Geographic variation in colorectal cancer incidence and mortality, age of onset, and stage at diagnosis among American Indian and Alaska Native people, 1990-2009. Am J Public Health 2014;104 Suppl 3:S404-14.
- Keck JW, Miernyk KM, Bulkow LR, Kelly JJ, McMahon BJ, Sacco F, Hennessy TW, Bruce MG. Helicobacter pylori infection and markers of gastric cancer risk in Alaska Native persons: a retrospective case-control study. Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014;28(6):305-10.
- Kelly JJ, Lanier AP, Schade T, Brantley J, Starkey BM. Cancer disparities among Alaska Native people, 1970-2011. Prev Chronic Dis 2014;11:E221.
- Koller KR, Wilson AS, Asay ED, Metzger JS, Neal DE. Agreement Between Self-Report and Medical Record Prevalence of 16 Chronic Conditions in the Alaska EARTH Study. J Prim Care Community Health 2014;5(3):160-165.
- Redwood DG, Asay E, Sacco P, Hamlin C, Otto E, Christensen C, Davis PW, Tiesinga J, Sacco F, Devens M, Alberts S, Mahoney D, Fiero M, Yab T, Lidgard G, Berger B, Provost E, Ahlquist D. Stool DNA testing for screen-detection of colorectal neoplasia in Alaska Native people. Gastroenterology 2014;146(5):S-403.
- Redwood D, Provost E, Asay E, Ferguson J, Muller J. Giant inflatable colon and community knowledge, intention, and social support for colorectal cancer screening. Prev Chronic Dis 2013;10:120192.
- Kelly JJ, Unger ER, Dunne EF, Murphy NJ, Tiesinga J, Koller KR, Swango-Wilson A, Philemonof D, Lounmala X, Markowitz LE, Steinau M, Hennessy T. HPV genotypes detected in cervical cancers from Alaska Native women, 1980-2007. Int J Circumpolar Health 2013;72.
- Holck P, Day GE, Provost E. Mortality trends among Alaska Native people: successes and challenges. Int J Circumpolar Health 2013;72.
- Golnick C, Asay E, Provost E, Van Liere D, Bosshart C, Rounds-Riley J, Cueva K, Hennessy TW. Innovative primary care delivery in rural Alaska: a review of patient encounters seen by community health aides. Int J Circumpolar Health 2012;71:18543.
- Kelly J, Alberts S, Sacco F, Lanier AP. Colorectal cancer in Alaska Native people, 2005-2009. Gastrointest Cancer Res 2012;5(5):149-54.
- Redwood D, Lanier AP, Brubaker M, Orell L, Tom-Orme L, George C, Edwards S, Slattery M. Occupational and environmental exposures among Alaska Native and American Indian people living in Alaska and the Southwest United States. J Environ Health 2012;74(9):22-8.
- Lanier AP, Redwood DG, Kelly JJ. The Alaska Education and Research Towards Health (EARTH) Study: cancer risk factors. J Cancer Educ 2012;27(1 Suppl):S80-5.
- Edwards SL, McFadden M, Lanier AP, Murtaugh MA, Ferucci ED, Redwood DG, Tom-Orme L, Slattery ML. Construct validity of the SF-12 among American Indian and Alaska Native people using two known scoring methods. J Health Care Poor Underserved 2012;23(3):1123-36.
- Redwood D, Provost E, Perdue D, Haverkamp D, Espey D. The last frontier: Innovative efforts to reduce colorectal cancer disparities among remote Alaska Native populations. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2012;75(3):474-480.
- Redwood DG, Lanier AP, Johnston JM, Murphy N, Murtaugh MA. Reproductive cancer risk factors among Alaska Native women: the Alaska Education and Research Towards Health (EARTH) Study. Womens Health Issues 2012;22(4):e387-93.
- Alberts SR, Kelly JJ, Ashokkumar R, Lanier AP. Occurrence of pancreatic, biliary tract, and gallbladder cancers in Alaska Native people, 1973-2007. Int J Circumpolar Health 2012;71:17521.
- Redwood D, Holman L, Zandman-Zeman S, Hunt T, Besh L, Katinszky W. Collaboration to increase colorectal cancer screening among low-income uninsured patients. Preventing Chronic Disease 2011;8(3).
- Redwood DG, Leston J, Asay E, Ferucci E, Etzel R, Lanier AP. Strategies for successful retention of Alaska Native and American Indian study participants. J Primary Prevent 2011;32 (1):43-52.
- Kemberling M, Hagan K, Leston J, Kitka S, Provost E, Hennessy T. Alaska native adolescent views on cervical cancer, the human papillomavirus (HPV), genital warts and the quadrivalent HPV vaccine. Int J Circumpolar Health 2011;70(3):245-53.
- Johnston JM, Day G, Veazie MA, Provost E. Heart Disease Mortality Among Alaska Native People 1981-2007. Public Health Reports 2011; 126(1):73-83.
- Seeff, LC, Major A, Townsend JS, Provost E, Redwood D, Espey E, Dwyer D, Villaneuva R, Larsen L, Rowley K, Banning L, Comprehensive Cancer Control Programs and Coalitions: Partnering to Launch Successful Colorectal Cancer Screening Initiatives. Cancer, Causes, and Control 2010;21(12):2023-31.
- Redwood DG, Lanier AP, Johnston JM, et al. Chronic disease risk factors among Alaska Native and American Indian people, Alaska, 2004-2006. Prev Chronic Dis 2010;7(4).
- Redwood DG, Toffolon-Weiss M, Klejka J, Sylvester I, Lundgren K, Lanier AP. Community-based participatory research in a large cohort study of chronic diseases among Alaska Native adults. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research Education and Action 2010; 4(4):325-330.
- Redwood DG, Lanier AP, Renner C, Smith J, Slattery ML. Differences in cigarette and smokeless tobacco use among American Indian and Alaska Native people living in Alaska and the Southwest United States. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 2010; 12(7):791-796.
- Murtaugh MA, Ma KN, Greene T, Redwood D, Edwards S, Johnson J, Tom-Orme L, Lanier AP, Henderson JA, Slattery ML. Validation of a dietary history questionnaire for American Indian and Alaska Native people. Ethn Dis 2010;20(4):429-36.
See all ANEC publications here.
A Strategic Plan to Address Tribal Opioid Use
Community Health Profiles
- California AIAN Community Health Profile 2015
- Native Oral Health Project
- California IHS User Population
- Sepsis Data Brief
- Influenza Vaccine Rates for California AIAN
- CTEC THP/UIHP Annual Health Priorities Report (2019)
- Opioid Surveillance Update (2018)
- Health Priorities Survey (2017)
- California Tribal Behavioral Risk Factor Community Survey (CTBRFCS) Summary Report (2015)
- Native Oral Health Project Full Report (2015)
- AIAN Childhood Obesity in California (2014)
- CTEC Evaluation Summary Report (2014)
- Health Priorities Survey (2013)
- Tribal Asthma Survey (Final Report)
- Tribal Asthma Lay Project (Lay Report)
Cross-Jurisdictional Sharing of Emergency Management Services
- National Scope of Cross-Jurisdictional Sharing of Emergency Management Services
- Toolkit: Cross-Jurisdictional Sharing Between Tribes and Counties for Emergency Management
Good Health and Wellness in Indian Country
- Community-Clinical Linkages Factsheet: ACORNS
- Physical Activity Factsheet: ACORNS
- Success Stories: ACORNS
- Summer 2017 Newsletter
- Spring 2017 Newsletter
- Spring/Summer 2016 Newsletter
- Winter 2016 Newsletter
- Fall 2015 Newsletter
California American Indian/Alaska Native Maternal and Infant Health Status Report
- Lucas-Pipkorn S, Tuomi A. Addressing data inequities in American Indian communities through an environmental public health tracking pilot project. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 2017; 23: S28-S31.
- Foote M, Strickland R, Lucas-Pipkorn S, et al. The high burden of cancer among American Indians/Alaska Natives in Wisconsin. Wisconsin Medical Society. 2016;115(1):11-16.
- Strategic Planning Toolkit – ITCA 2019 (PDF 7MB)
- Drug, Opioid-Involved, and Heroin-Involved Overdose Deaths Among American Indians and Alaska Natives — Washington, 1999–2015 | Joshi S, Weiser T, Warren-Mears V.
- Texting 4 Sexual Health: Improving Attitudes, Intention, and Behavior Among American Indian and Alaska Native Youth Health Promotion Practice | 2018-03 | journal-article | DOI: 10.1177/1524839918761872
- We R Native: Harnessing Technology to Improve Health Outcomes for American Indian and Alaska Native Youth Journal of Adolescent Health | 2018-02 | journal-article | DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2017.11.168
- Comprehensive Approaches Using Technology to Address Mental Health Technology and Adolescent Mental Health | 2018 | Book Chapter | DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-69638-6_19
- Brigg Reilley, MPH, Dana L. Haberling, MSPH, Marissa Person, MSPH, Jessica Leston, MPH, Jonathan Iralu, MD, Rick Haverkate, MPH, and Azfar-E-Alam Siddiqi, PhD. “Assessing New Diagnoses of HIV Among American Indian/Alaska Natives Served by the Indian Health Service, 2005-2014.” DOI: 10.1177/0033354917753118
- Canniff B (in press). “Public Health Accreditation: History, Implications, and Opportunities for Tribal Public Health.” Journal of Public Health Management and Practice.
- Shegog, R., S. Craig Rushing, et al. (2017). “NATIVE-It’s Your Game: Adapting a Technology-Based Sexual Health Curriculum for American Indian and Alaska Native youth.” The Journal of Primary Prevention 38(1): 27-48. DOI 10.1007/s10935-016-0440-9
- Reilley B, Haberling D, Person M, Leston J, Iralu J, Haverekate R, Siddiqi A. (2017) HIV Trends in American Indian and Alaska Native Populations, 2005-2014. Accepted for Publication – Public Health Reports.
- Reilley B, Leston J. The Tale of Two Epidemics. New England Journal of Medicine. Published online August 31, 2017; 377:801-803 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp1705991
- Ness MN, Rosenberg KD, Abrahamson-Richards T, Sandoval AP, Weiser TM, Warren-Mears V. Stressful Life Events and Self-Reported Postpartum Depressive Symptoms 13-24 Months After Live Birth Among Non-Hispanic American Indian/Alaska Native Mothers in Oregon: Results from a Population-Based Survey. American Indian and Alaska native mental health research (Online). 2017; 24(2):76-98. PubMed [journal] PMID: 28832889
- Carol Grimes, Jenine Dankovchik, Megan Cahn, Victoria Warren-Mears: American Indian and Alaska Native Cancer Patients’ Perceptions of a Culturally Specific Patient Navigator Program. The Journal of Primary Prevention 11/2016; DOI:10.1007/s10935-016-0458-z
- Victoria Warren-Mears, Jamie Ritchey, Byron Larson, Kevin English, Ellen Provost, Kristin Hill, Maureen Wimsatt, Kate Grismala, Mike Andreini, Del Yazzie, P.J. Beaudry: Tribal Epidemiology Centers and Native American Health. Journal of the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 05/2016; 116(5), DOI:10.1016/j.jand.2016.02.017
- Scott V. Adams, Andrea N. Burnett-Hartman, Andrew Karnopp, Aasthaa Bansal, Stacey A. Cohen, Victoria Warren-Mears, Scott D. Ramsey: Cancer Stage in American Indians and Alaska Natives Enrolled in Medicaid. American journal of preventive medicine 03/2016; 51(3). DOI:10.1016/j.amepre.2016.02.016
- Markham, C.M., Craig Rushing, S., Jessen, C., Gorman, G., Torres, J., Lambert, W.E., Prokhorov, A.V., Miller, L., Allums-Featherston, K., Addy, R.C., Peskin, M.F., Shegog, R. (2016). Internet-based delivery of evidence-based health promotion programs among American Indian and Alaska Native youth: A case study. Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR) Research Protocols, 5(4):e225. URL: http://www.researchprotocols.org/2016/4/e225/ doi:10.2196/resprot.6017
- Craig Rushing, S., & Gardner, W. (2016). Native VOICES: Adapting a video-based sexual health intervention for American Indian teens and young adults using the ADAPT-ITT model. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, 23(1), 24-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.5820/aian.2301.2016.24
- Jessen C, Leston J, Simons B, Rink E. (2016) What is Missing – Addressing the complex issues surrounding sexual and reproductive health in the circumpolar North. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 75(1), 34287. doi:10.3402/ijch.v75.34287.
- Leston J, Finkbonner J. Access to Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Drugs in Indian Country: Waiting for the Cure. JAMA. Published online May 26, 2016. doi:10.1001/jama.2016.7186.
- Salerno J, Hlaing WM, Weiser T, Striley C, Schwartz L, Angulo FJ, Neslund VS. Emergency response in a global health crisis: epidemiology, ethics, and Ebola application. Annals of epidemiology. 2016; 26(4):234-7. PubMed [journal] PMID: 26996399
- Bigback KM, Hoopes M, Dankovchik J, Knaster E, Warren-Mears V, Joshi S, Weiser T. Using Record Linkage to Improve Race Data Quality for American Indians and Alaska Native in Two Pacific Northwest State Hospital Discharge Databases. Health Serv Res. 2015 Aug; 50 Suppl1:1390-402.
- Hoopes MJ, Dankovchik J, Weiser T, Cheng T, Bigback K, Knaster ES, Sugerman DE. Uncovering a missing demographic in trauma registries: epidemiology of trauma among American Indian and Alaska Natives in Washington State. Inj Prev. 2015 Oct;21(5):335-43.
- Dankovchik J, Hoopes MJ, Knaster E, Warren-Mears V. Disparities in life expectancy of pacific northwest American Indians ad Alaska natives: analysis of linkage-corrected life tables. Public Health Rep 2015 Jan-Feb;130(1);71-80.
- A. Marcinkevage, R. F. Leman, V. Warren-Mears, T. Weiser: Using Electronically Archived Medical Information for Public Health: Analysis of American Indian/Alaska Native Communicable Disease Diagnoses from the Indian Health Service National Data Warehouse—Oregon 2007–11. International Journal of Epidemiology 10/2015; 44(suppl_1)., DOI:10.1093/ije/dyv096.093
- Jessica Marcinkevage, Edward Gregg, Kerri Lopez, Victoria Warren-Mears, Thomas Weiser: Diabetes-Related Complications Among American Indians/Alaska Natives — Idaho, Oregon, and Washington State, 2001-2011. DOI:10.1016/j.annepidem.2015.06.066
- Stacey Shiovitz, Aasthaa Bansal, Andrea N Burnett-Hartman, Andrew Karnopp, Scott V Adams, Victoria Warren Mears, Scott D Ramsey: Cancer-Directed Therapy and Hospice Care for Metastatic Cancer in American Indians and Alaska Natives. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 05/2015; 24(7)., DOI:10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-15-0251
- Gritton, J. C., S. Craig Rushing, et al. “”People Care”: Recommendations from Native Youth to Address Concerning Mental Health Displays on Social Media.” Journal of Adolescent Health 58(2): S58. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2015.10.128
- Markham, C. M., S. Craig Rushing, et al. (2015). Factors Associated With Early Sexual Experience Among American Indian and Alaska Native Youth. Journal of Adolescent Health 57(3): 334-341. DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2015.06.003
- Mera, J, Vellozzi C, Hairiri S, Carabin H, Drevets D, Miller A, Reilley B, Essex W, Gahn D, Lyons L, Leston J, Ward J (CDC). Identification and Clinical Management of Persons with Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection — Cherokee Nation, 2012–2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;65(18).
- Reilley B, Leston J, Hariri S, Neel L, Rudd M, Galope M Ward J, Vellozzi C (CDC). Birth Cohort Testing for Hepatitis C Virus — Indian Health Service 2012–2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;65(18).
- Gemelas J, Locker R, Rudd S, Prevost C, Reilley B, Leston J. (2015) Impact of Screening Recommendations for the Identification of Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection Among Persons Born During 1945-1965: A Primary Care Case Study. Journal of Primary Care and Community Health. July 2015.
- Reilley B, Leston J, Tulloch S, Neel L, Galope M, Taylor M. (2015) Implementation of National HIV Screening Recommendations in the Indian Health Service. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. February 2015.
- Stephanie Craig Rushing, Bridget Canniff, Wendee Gardner, Megan Hoopes, Victoria Warren-Mears, Jacqueline Left Hand Bull–Delahunt: American Indians and Alaska Natives and Primary Prevention. Encyclopedia of Primary Prevention and Health Promotion, 01/2014; ISBN: 978-1-4614-5998-9, DOI:10.1007/978-1-4614-5999-6_330
- Mark E Bensink, Scott D Ramsey, Tracy Battaglia, Kevin Fiscella, Thelma C Hurd, June M McKoy, Steven R Patierno, Peter C Raich, Eric E Seiber, Victoria Warren-Mears, Elizabeth Whitley, Electra D Paskett, S Mandelblatt: Costs and Outcomes Evaluation of Patient Navigation After Abnormal Cancer Screening Evidence From the Patient Navigation Research Program. Cancer 02/2014; 120(4)., DOI:10.1002/cncr.28438
- Dankovchik J, Hoopes MJ, Joshi S, Bigback K, Weiser T, Warren-Mears, V. Improving American Indian and Alaska Native Injury Statistics: Using record linkage to correct racial misclassification in a state trauma registry. IHS Provider 2014. 39(7):125-130.
- Canniff B, Warren-Mears V, Azule L. “Building a Regional Tribal Injury Prevention Program: Challenges and Opportunities.” IHS Primary Care Provider. Indian Health Service, July 2014, Vol 39, No 10.
- Reilley B, Leston J, Redd JT, Geiger R. (2014) Lack of Access to Treatment as a Barrier to HCV Screening: A Facility-Based Assessment in the Indian Health Service. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. July 2014.
- Onders R, Spillane J, Reilley B, Leston J. (2014) Use of Electronic Clinical Reminders to Increase Preventative Screenings in a Primary Care Setting: Blueprint from a Successful Process in Kodiak, AK. Journal of Primary Care and Community Health. January 2014.
- Smith N, Lutz T, Lapidus J for the Native CARS Study Group. Improving Data on Child Passenger Safety: Survey Methods from the “Native Children Always Ride Safe” (Native CARS) study. IHS Primary Care Provider. 2014 Jul; V39 N7:120-124.
- Andrea N Burnett-Hartman, Mark E Bensink, Kristin Berry, David G Mummy, Victoria Warren Mears, Carol Korenbrot, Scott D Ramsey: Access to the Indian Health Service Care System Is Not Associated with Early Enrollment in Medicaid for American Indian and Alaska Natives with Cancer. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention 12/2013; 23(2), DOI:10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-13-1099
- Gardner, W., & Craig Rushing, S. (2013). Native VOICES: Developing an evidence-based HIV/STD intervention for Native teens and young adults. The IHS Primary Care Provider: Vol. 38, No 4: 74.
- Rudd S, Gemelas J, Reilley B, Leston J, Tulloch S. (2013) Integrating Clinical Decision Support to Increase HIV and Chlamydia Screening. Preventative Medicine. December 2013.
- Lapidus J, Smith N, Lutz T, Ebel B for the Native CARS Study Group. Trends and correlates of child passenger restraint use in six Northwest tribes: the Native Children Always Ride Safe (Native CARS) Project. Am J Public Health. 2013 Feb;103(2):355-61
- Victoria Warren-Mears, Jenine Dankovchik, Meena Patil, Rongwei Fu: Impact of Patient Navigation on Cancer Diagnostic Resolution Among Northwest Tribal Communities. Journal of Cancer Education 12/2012; 28(1), DOI:10.1007/s13187-012-0436-y
- Hoopes MJ, Petersen P, Vinson E, Lopez K. Regional Difference and Tribal Use of American Indian /Alaska Native Cancer Data in the Pacific Northwest. J Cancer Edu. 2012 Apr;27(Suppl):S73-9.
- Leston, J., & Craig Rushing, S. (2012). WE R NATIVE: A Multimedia Health Resource for Native Teens and Young Adults. The IHS Primary Care Provider: Vol. 37, No 4: 101.
- Craig Rushing, S., & Stephens, D. (2012). Tribal recommendations for designing culturally appropriate technology-based sexual health interventions targeting Native youth in the Pacific Northwest. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research, 19(1), 76-101. doi: 10.5820/aian.1901.2012.76
- Leston J, Jessen C, Simons B. (2012). Alaska Native and Rural Adolescent Views of Sexual Health: A Focus Group Project on Sexually Transmitted Infection, HIV/AIDS, and Unplanned Pregnancy. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research.
- Karanja N, Aickin M, Lutz T, Mist S, Jobe JB, Maupomé G, Ritenbaugh. A community-based intervention to prevent obesity beginning at birth among American Indian children: study design and rationale for the PTOTS study, J Prim Prev. 2012 Aug;33(4):161-74
- T Maupomé G, Karanja N, Ritenbaugh C, Lutz T, Aickin M, Becker T, Dental Caries in American Indian Toddlers After a Community-Based Beverage Intervention, Ethn Dis. 2010 Autumn;20(4):444-50.
- Karanja N Lutz, T, Ritenbaugh C, Maupome G, Jones J, Becker T, Aickin M, The TOTS Community Intervention to Prevent Overweight in American Indian Toddlers: A Feasibility and Efficacy Study, J Community Health. 2010 Dec;35(6):667-75
- Final Report: Diabetes: Child Health Measures Report, 2007-2016
- CSTE Short Report: Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Surveillance
- Final Report: 2016 Tribal Public Health Workforce Needs Assessment
- Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls: Annita Lucchesi (Southern Cheyenne), PhD-c, Abigail Echo-Hawk (Pawnee), MA, 2018
Peer Reviewed Articles
Authored by UIHI Staff
- Thomas J. Lawrence, BA; Rosalina D. James, PhD. Good Health and Wellness: Measuring Impact Through an Indigenous Lens.
- Rutman S, Longhran J, Tanner L, Randall LL. (2016). Native Generations: A campaign addressing infant mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives in urban areas. American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research Journal, 23(5), 59-77. http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/PublicHealth/research/centers/CAIANH/journal/Documents/Volume%2023/Rutman_23%285%29_Native_Generations_intervention_59-77.pdf
- Rutman, S., Phillips, L. , Sparck, A. (2016), Health Care Access and Use by Urban American Indians and Alaska Natives: Findings from the National Health Interview Survey (2006–09). Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 27(3), 1521-1536. http://muse.jhu.edu/article/628149
- Jacobs-Wingo JL, Espey DK, Groom AV, Phillips LE, Haverkamp DS, Stanley SL. (2016), Causes and Disparities in Death Rates Among Urban American Indian and Alaska Native populations, 1999-2009. American Journal of Public Health, 106(5), 906-914. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2015.303033. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26890168
- Bigback KM, Hoopes M, Dankovchik J, Knaster ES, Warren-Mears V, Joshi S, Weiser T. (2015), Using Record Linkage to Improve Race Data Quality for American Indians and Alaska Natives in Two Pacific Northwest State Hospital Discharge Databases. Health Services Research, 50(s1), 1390-1402. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1475-6773.12331/abstract
- Korngiebel D, Taualii M, Forquera, R, Buchwald D. (2015). Addressing the Challenges of Research With Small Populations. American Journal of Public Health, 105(9), 1744-1747. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2015.302783. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26180955
- Hoopes Megan J, Dankovchik J, Weiser Thomas, Cheng Tabitha, Bigback Kristyn, Knaster ES, Sugerman David E. (2015). Uncovering a missing demographic in trauma registries: epidemiology of trauma among American Indians in Washington State, 2015. Injury Prevention. Advance online publication. http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/early/2015/04/29/injuryprev-2014-041419.abstract
- Knaster ES, Fretts AM, Phillips LE. (2015). The Association of Depression Management Among Urban American Indians/Alaskan Natives in the United States, 2011. Ethnicity & Disease, 25(1), 83-89. http://www.ishib.org/wp-content/themes/default/journal/25-1/ethn-25-01-83abs.pdf
- Dankovchik J, Hoopes M, Warren-Mears V, Knaster ES. (2015). Disparities in Life Expectancy of Pacific Northwest American Indians and Alaska Natives: An Analysis of Linkage-Corrected Life Tables. Public Health Reports, 130(1), 71-80. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25552757
- Rutman S, Taualii M, Ned D, Tetrick C. (2012). Reproductive health and sexual violence among urban American Indian and Alaska Native young women: Select findings from the National Survey of Family Growth (2002). Maternal and Child Health Journal, 16(2), 347- 352. http://www.springerlink.com/content/u12j0tl367328r71/
- Huffman S, Brucker R, Redd JT, Taualii M, Town CM, Castor ML, Tetrick C, Forquera R, Buffington J. (2011). Integrating viral hepatitis screening and prevention services into an urban chemical dependency treatment facility for American Indians and Alaska Natives. Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice, 5(1), 32-42. http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/jhdrp/vol5/iss1/3/
- Errickson SP, Alvarez M, Forquera R, Whitehead TL, Fleg A, Hawkins T, Browne DC, Newsom MC, Schoenbach VJ. (2011). What will health-care reform mean for minority health disparities? Public Health Reports, 126(2), 170-5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056029/ PMCID: 3056029
- Doorenbos AZ, Jacobsen C, Corpuz R, Forquera R, Buchwald D. (2011). A randomized controlled calendar mail-out to increased cancer screening among urban American Indian and Alaska Native patients. Journal of Cancer Education, 26(3), 549-54. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=A+randomized+controlled+calendar+mail-out+to+increase+cancer+screening+among+urban+American+Indian+and+Alaska+Native+patients
- Hoopes M, Taualii M, Weiser T, Brucker R, Becker TM. (2010). Including self-reported race to improve cancer surveillance data for American Indians and Alaska Natives in Washington state. Journal of Registry Managment, 37(2), 43-48. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Including+self-reported+race+to+improve+cancer+surveillance+data+for+American+Indians+and+Alaska+Natives+in+Washington+state
- Rutman S, Park A, Castor ML, Taualii M, Forquera R. (2008). Urban American Indian and Alaska Native youth: youth risk behavior survey 1997-2003. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 12(Suppl 1), 76-81. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Urban+American+Indian+and+Alaska+Native+youth%3A+youth+risk+behavior+survey+1997-2003
- Sequist TD, Cullen T, Hays H, Taualii M, Simon SR, Bates DW. (2007). Implementation and use of an electronic health record within the Indian Health Service. Journal of American Medical Informatics Association, 14(2), 191-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17213495 PMCID: 2213460
- Taualii M, Forquera R. (2006). Urban Indian community responds to an information crisis. Northwest Public Health, Spring/Summer 2006, 6-7.
- Castor ML, Smyser MS, Taualii M, Park A, Lawson SA, Forquera R. (2006). A nationwide population-based study identifying health disparities between American Indians/Alaska Natives and the general populations living in select urban counties. American Journal of Public Health, 96(8), 1478-84. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=A+nationwide+population-based+study+identifying+health+disparities+between+American+Indians%2FAlaska+Natives+and+the+general+populations+living+in+select+urban +counties. PMCID: 1522100
- Bergman AB, Grossman DC, Erdrich AM, Tood JG, Forquera R. (1999). A political history of the Indian Health Service. The Milbank Quarterly, 77(4), 571-604. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=A+political+history+of+the+Indian+Health+Service.+The+Milbank+Quarterly%2C+77(4)%2C+571-604. PMCID: 2751138
- American Indians and Alaska Natives. A population-based study. The Journal of American Medical Association, 271(11), 845-50. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8114239
- Grossman DC, Krieger JW, Sugarman JR, Forquera R. (1994). Health status of urban American Indians and Alaska Natives. A population-based study. The Journal of American Medical Association, 271(11), 845-50. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8114239