5 Free Online Classes and Webinars for Public Health in February 2018 from NNLM
Each month, check the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM) website for free professional development opportunities for public health professionals and librarians. During February 2018, NNLM is offering online classes and webinars about big data in healthcare, providing consumer health information at your library, acting as a liaison with health professionals, grants and proposal writing, and providing reliable health information to older adults:
- Big Data in Healthcare: Exploring Emerging Roles (February 5, 2018 to March 30, 2018): This course will help health sciences librarians better understand the issues of big data in clinical outcomes and what roles health sciences librarians can take on in this service area.
- Beyond an Apple a Day: Providing Consumer Health Information at Your Library (February 6, 2018 to March 13, 2018): This hands-on class will cover the health information seeking behavior of consumers and the role of the librarian in the provision of health information for the public. Come learn about the evolution of consumer health, health literacy and the e-patient. Participants will be equipped with knowledge of top consumer health sites, e-patient resources and collection development core lists.
- Learning to Liaise with Health Professions (February 7, 2018, 2:00PM – 3:30PM ET): Attendees will explore various health professions and educational environments, such as community colleges, hospitals, universities, and more. Next, the course will focus on how educational standards for health professions inform library instruction, research support, and collection services.
- Grants and Proposal Writing (February 15, 2018, 2:00PM – 3:00PM ET): Designed for beginning grant proposal writers, this class presents a general overview of the grant and funding processes as well as the level of detail required in a successful proposal.
- Healthy Aging at Your Library: Connecting Older Adults to Health Information (February 22, 2018, 11:00AM – 1:00PM ET): This “train the trainer” class is designed to help librarians assist their older adult patrons find health information. Discover techniques for teaching older adults to use computers and to find health information on the Internet, learn what makes a website senior-friendly; plan library programs on senior health topics; and find out about some recommended health websites for older adults.